RE: Re: xplphone problems

  • Subject: RE: Re: xplphone problems
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:29:08 +0100

> I have found also that it is a soft modem (that I have to admit I do
> not know what are the implications of this).

A soft modem is probably (though I'm not sure) like a winmodem in that it's
software driven rather than pure hardware

I doubt it supports voice

> a) buy an external modem with voice support (inf file included). In
> this case which one ?

Easiest, but I bought a usr/3com message modem and still had to write my
own
inf!

> b) Copy the entries from other inf file and see what happens.
> Very small options that this will work ...

Highly unlikely it'll work as I don't think the inf texts are a defined
standard for this

> c) Try to find the specs and build the inf file. Difficult to find the
> specs , and need much time to understand all the options.

See above ref soft modems

> Could you recommend any of these options or suggest other ?

I have only tested xplphone with my 3com message modem, so I don't know
what
other modems it works with

Please remember that xplphone is still a program under development, and I
can't say it will work for you properly (I have an oustanding issue to look
at for Andy, I think, where he's seen it grab 100% cpu) and I currently
don't have time to deal with any issues that might come up.

Unless you have a modem already that could be used, I wouldn't particularly
recommend at this time buying another to use with an application (xplphone)
that might not do what you require. If you have other uses for the modem
then it might be a different matter.

Currently I don't use the app myself, and due to licensing restrictions
with
a 3rd party dll I can't release the source code for this app for others to
work on

Regards
Tony