Re: Serial protocol questions

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@b...>
<snip>
Allowing the network to run at different baud rates is a good
idea ,anything
> i have done is 9600 , although i dont think 19200 would be out of
the
> question for most pics...??

Nor do I for the 20MHz devices.

> The important thing to get this project going i think is to get
started on
> the master device....
>
> Neil  do you have any current hardware to develope a Master on ????
>
> > 2) Presumably the host software will do the device/instance id-
>node
> > number conversion and the device/instance config? - Don't know
what this
> is
> > yet ???
>
> Each node has a name / id and its configurable , so when you put a
new
> device on the network it will sent out regular requests "please
configure
> me" known as config heartbeats....The master should pick up this
message and
> pass it on to the xPL network....In xPL Manager under xPL
devices,subfolder
> awaiting configuration the device should be listed clicking on it
then
> allows you to configure....The config info would get send to the
Master
> which passes it on to the new unit which would reconfigure its self
and
> immediately send out a regular heartbeat.....
> Hope that makes sense ??
>
> Frank
Sorry, I should have explained. If I'm node 144 then I might be
MMWAVE-BARCODE.232323 at unconfigured state. I might want to rename
to MMWAVE-BARCODE.KITCHEN but I'm still node 144, either the PC
software or the RS485 master device needs to do the mapping. The same
applies to pretty much all the config items. Somewhere, and mostly
not at the end node, there needs to be a fair amount of intelligence
that is configurable (cue xPLHAL....). Heartbeats are also
interesting since you may decide to poll nodes every, say, 2.5
seconds but the heartbeat xPL knows about is simulated in the master
node.

So there needs to a clear set of definitions of what a node is, can
do, what items are configured at the node, what at master, what at PC.
And how new nodes can be added, preferably by some data definitons
(XML).
Lehane
<snip>