Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Serial protocol questions

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "DynamoBen" <ben@b...> wrote:
> BTW 1/8 fuses on the data line is always a good idea.

Not sure what is being protected.. if I got 240v on the data line
then some interfaces are dead and I need to get the soldering iron
out. If the fuses blow, the same (given the space requirements they
may be PCB mounted). OK, OK, it's easier to swap a 1206 fuse...

My preference is zener clamping, spark gaps and Varistors.

In answer to some other questions  (not Ben's):

EPC and ISO 18000-6 relate to RFID tags which you'll see on all
products as an adjunct and eventual replacement of bar codes on
everything.

A standard ISO based magnetic (MSR) card has three tracks containing
various amounts of data. Track 2 on a credit/debit card has the basic
information, Track 1 usually has the cardholder name and other info.
Track 3 gets used by banks/ATM's.

There are many barcode specifications - the ones on baked beans are
UPC/EAN but you'll find many others on parcels, pharmaceuticals, etc.
Off the shelf readers will read most of them and tell you what type
by a prefix character ahead of the data.

Digital input can easily handle switches with some optional on board
pull up resistors.

Lehane

TX to
> > RX.
> >
> > This make sense?

lots
of small
> >> devices than to make one that does all ...........
> >> Would that mean then a rs485 hub would be required so that it
could be
> >> star
> >> wired ??? anybody did a rs485 hub before ????
> >>
> >> Allowing the network to run at different baud rates is a good
idea
> >> ,anything
> >> i have done is 9600 , although i dont think 19200 would be
out
of the
> >> question for most pics...??
> >>
> >> The important thing to get this project going i think is to
get
started
> >> on
> >> the master device....
> >>
> >> Neil  do you have any current hardware to develope a Master
on ????

device/instance id-
>node
know
what this
> >> is
> >>
> >> Each node has a name / id and its configurable , so when you
put
a new
> >> device on the network it will sent out regular requests
"please
configure
> >> me" known as config heartbeats....The master should pick
up this
message
> >> and
> >> pass it on to the xPL network....In xPL Manager under xPL
> >> devices,subfolder
> >> awaiting configuration the device should be listed clicking
on
it then
> >> allows you to configure....The config info would get send to
the
Master
> >> which passes it on to the new unit which would reconfigure
its
self and
> >> immediately send out a regular heartbeat.....
> >> Hope that makes sense ??
> >>
> >> Frank

it is
a good

> [...]