Latest message you have seen: Re: xPLRioNet - Test Volunteers

Re: Re: Serial protocol questions

BTW 1/8 fuses on the data line is always a good idea.
----- Original Message -----
From: "DynamoBen" <ben@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_xpl] Re: Serial protocol questions

> RS485 hubs are super easy to build. In fact you could mock one up on a
> breadboard in under 30mins. (They are generally called opto splitters)
>
> Parts Needed:
> Several 75176 chips (less than 32)
> Several 6N137 chips (this is for opto isloation)
>
> Data path is RS485-->75176 Input-->6N137
>
> Then this would be repeated for the outputs. Don't for get to tie TX
> RX.
>
> This make sense?

"please configure
>> me" known as config heartbeats....The master should pick up
this message
>> and
>> pass it on to the xPL network....In xPL Manager under xPL
>> devices,subfolder
>> awaiting configuration the device should be listed clicking on it
then
>> allows you to configure....The config info would get send to the
Master
>> which passes it on to the new unit which would reconfigure its
self and
>> immediately send out a regular heartbeat.....
>> Hope that makes sense ??
>>
>> Frank

a good
>>> compiler. Each different type of slave could be a completely
different
>> micro
>>> and language - assembler, C, Basic Pascal etc etc. The main
thing is
>>> that
>>> handles its own task and interfaces to the required 485
network
>>> protocol.
>>>
>>> 2) Presumably the host software will do the device/instance
id->node
>>> number conversion and the device/instance config? - Don't know
what this
>> is
>>> yet ???
>>>
>>> 3) "Mmm!
>>> I'd caution against making the devices too complex. Better
have 10
>>> types (smaller/cheaper) than 1 do-everything and they are
likely to
>>> see the light of day faster. You can always put two/three/four
in one
>>> box." - Exactly
>>>

>>> 4) "So I'd go for:
>>> 1 n-way DC input (maybe analogue) variations can include
on/off,
>>> momentary, dimmer action, etc.
>>> 2 n-way DC output (maybe PWM on some for LED's) variations -
opto,
>>> SSR, etc
>>> 3 LCD display driver
>>> 4 RFID (...and RFID to me is EPC/ISO 18000)
>>> 5 Universal IR (UIRT on 485)
>>> 6 Dallas touch and/or one wire sensors
>>> 7 MSR (Track 1/2/3)
>>> 8 Bar Code Reader (UPC/EAN/ITF/Code 39)
>>> 9 Analog input/output (0-5/10V)
>>> 10 .... "
>>>
>>> A) I was thinking of analogue inputs for switches etc, adds
additional
>>> security to remote switches I.e. window reed switches or PIR's
>>>
>>> B) What is "EPC/ISO 18000"
>>>
>>> C) What is MSR (Track 1/2/3)
>>>

>>> 5) "Agree on the power to the unit, although 12-15V maybe
sufficient as
>>> the power consumption is going to be pretty low on most.
>>> Not sure about the audio..I think that belongs on Ethernet in
the
>>> digital domain. I guess you're looking at voice/audio feedback
but
>>> would you want output from every device? Or would you command
each
>>> amp on? "
>>> RS485 Cabling is generally as per the old coax 10base2, one
long line
>>> with
>>> terminators on either end.
>>> With up to 32 devices on this line, that means 64 connections,
each with
>>> it's own voltage drop. The higher you can have the supply
voltage the
>>> less
>>> current in the supply lines the less voltage drop on the cable
and the
>> less
>>> impact of voltage drops on the network connectors.
>>> A lot of filed devices requires 12VDC so you would at least
have to add
>> 50%
>>> i.e. 18VDC for the interconnecting power supply. I know of
lots of off
>>> the
>>> shelf 24VDC supplies out there. But, I think that as long as
we design
>>> the
>>> system so that it can handle from 12..24VDC, we can leave it
up to the
>>> individual.
>>>
>>> 6) As far as the audio goes, my intention was that we use the
speaker
>>> out
>> of
>>> the HA pc. Nothing fancy.
>>> I see this as been a separate plug in add on board to the main
slave
>>> terminal with a small amp etc.
>>>

>>> 7) RS485 Comms Speed
>>> For each slave the master must Tx a message and then Rx a
message. 32
>> Slaves
>>> times * 2 * Packet size of say ten characters = 640 bytes. At
9600 baud
>> this
>>> would mean dial around would take 1.5 seconds. In reality this
would be
>>> somewhat longer with internal delays etc. Hence the reason
that I
>> suggested
>>> 38400 baud. I know basic chips may have issues with this.
Again perhaps

<neilw@n...> wrote:
> [...]
yours
>>> discussion, but,
>>> etc
>>>
>>> To some extent it is irrelevent to most end-users. Few are
going to
>>> change code, some will want prog'ed devices and most a kit (or
at
>>> least PCB and CPU).
>>>
>>> The protocol outline is doable across a wide range of devices,
indeed
>>> it needs to be interoperable.

>>> required. I think
state changes
>>> to the PC
>>> >

>>> A separate controller has some advantages of redundancy and
>>> interfacing with Win* or *nix.
>>>
>>> With xPL not on the wire then heartbeats can be different
internally
>>> to externally.
>>>
>>> Presumably the host software will do the device/instance
id->node
>>> number conversion and the device/instance config?

>>> (Perhaps
things)
Sleep time
>>> for
>>> turn

display only
>>> beeper for

>>> display

>>> etc,                             2..4
>>> wee stops
external IR
>>> led else

external LED
>>> for Stereo
RFID!
>>> relaying from

>>> interface                                    As
controller or a

<http://www.xplhal.com>  http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk
>>> <http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk>
>>>

>>>   _____
>>>
>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>>

>>> * To visit your group on the web, go to:
>>>

>>> * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>>>

>>> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service
.