Re: Re: Serial protocol questions

Hi Guys
Have to agree with  Lehane that its better to have lots of small
devices than to make one that does all ...........
Would that mean then a rs485 hub would be required so that it could be star
wired ??? anybody did a rs485 hub before ????

Allowing the network to run at different baud rates is a good idea
,anything
i have done is 9600 , although i dont think 19200 would be out of the
question for most pics...??

The important thing to get this project going i think is to get  started on
the master device....

Neil  do you have any current hardware to develope a Master on ????

> 2) Presumably the host software will do the device/instance
id->node
> number conversion and the device/instance config? - Don't know what
this
is
> yet ???

Each node has a name / id and its configurable , so when you put a new
device on the network it will sent out regular requests "please
configure
me" known as config heartbeats....The master should pick up this
message and
pass it on to the xPL network....In xPL Manager under xPL devices,subfolder
awaiting configuration the device should be listed clicking on it then
allows you to configure....The config info would get send to the Master
which passes it on to the new unit which would reconfigure its self and
immediately send out a regular heartbeat.....
Hope that makes sense ??

Frank