Re: Re: motion detectors: need some input

Hi David,

Well, about 25% of the setup is completed now: the lamps are
controllable via X10 appliance modules.
Switching on 2 lamps at the same time is just impossible: it sometimes
takes 2 secs for the second lamp to switch after the first!

Scenario:
- press remote (keychain remote KR22)
- rf receiver puts an X10 command on the wires
- CM11 picks it up
- xpl'ed: via determinators switch on 2 lamps
- CM11 sends ON for first lamp
- CM11 sends ON for second lamp

The remote is a real ##@!!  I have to press it for about 2 secs
otherwise the rf doesn't pick up the signal.  Then I need to be close
enough to the receiver (too close to be useful: in the kitchen to turn
on the lights in the backyard lol...)  If the remote picked up the
signal after about 1 sec the first lamp switches.  And 1 to 2 secs
later the second lamp.

I'm guessig it is the CM11 that cannot put X10 commands faster on the wire
?

Hopefully the TMA4 will work faster (i.e.: using a physical switch
connected to the TMA4, thereby bypassing remote + rf receiver).  The
remote will not be used a lot.  In fact I bought it only to be able to
program the TMA4's.

Regards,
Tom

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:18:51 -0000, rectorydp <dpullen@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Tom
>
> Just to clarify. It is not the X10 protocol that cause the problem it
> is the module itself. It may be caused by the dimming functionality,
> ie waiting to find out it the switch is pressed for less than 0.5s or
> it may be the way the module operates. If you don't get the problem
> then I guess it is the former. Here's hoping.
>

> BR
> David
>

> --- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Tom Van den Panhuyzen <tomvdp@g...>
> wrote:
> > Hm... but a bit higher up in this thread Mark says that X10 is
> > reasonably ok in handling collissions and the problem is in the
RF.

<dpullen@f...> wrote:

> > > Tom
> > >
> > > Sorry I was a bit late with my response...
> > >
> > > What I meant was that you have to delay pressing a switch to
ensure
> > > that the X10 signal is put on the powerline. If you press
two buttons
> > > together only one will operate. This was the issue that
could cause
> > > the most problem with PIRs. It is possible that a trigger
would be
> > > missed entirely. However, it does depend upon how long the
PIR
> > > triggers for and what happens if two switches are operated
together
> > > for a period of time. I can't test with my TMD4s as they are
> > > configured to issue dim commands once the switches are held
down for
> > > more than 0.5s. I do hope it works ok for you.
> > >

> > > BR
> > > David
> > >

> > > --- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Tom Van den Panhuyzen
<tomvdp@g...>