Re: Re: motion detectors: need some input

Yes X10 is a very slow protocol - it takes a minimum of just over 1
second (from memory) to address different devices on different
housecodes - this is quite normal and is the reason that I was
suggesting using a Viom / Netiom or similar alternative before. You will
not be able to reduce this aspect of the delay whilst you use X10 I'm
afraid.

Of course you have a triple delay to the last light switching for the
reasons (in your sequence) below.  Do you always want both the lights to
always come on together ?  If so then set them both to the same
housecode and unit code, then they will work as one. Likewise if you do
this then you could get the RF keypad to switch the lights directly
(rather than via xPLHAL) which will take another delay out.  So you will
be 3 times faster to the last light switching. You can still have xPLHAL
watch for the lights being turned ON this way and action a delayed turn
off via a script in xPL HAL or something should you so wish.

xPL is a very fast protocol in comparison with X10 as it can action a
request in one Ethernet udp packet  . If it was directly connected to an
xPL enabled relay eg Netiom this would be very fast, say 25ms or so -
almost instantaneous - if it has to receive the trigger and send the
command out eventualy using X10 it is beholdent on the X10 protocol and
hence the result will suffer those delays, once on input and once on
output. - 2500+ ms - approx an order of magnitude worse.

Kevin