RE: MVP file extensions

  • Subject: RE: MVP file extensions
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:08:49 -0000

Hi Rob,

> Have you seen the MVP message boards at http://www.shspvr.com/forum/?

Looks interesting, will take a better look when I get time

> There's lots of exciting stuff there (via links to their FTP
> server), including a dongle.bin dated 7th December 2004.

I'm currently running one dated nov 04, and hauppuage seem to be saying
they've speeded up the user interface, which means they may have
implemented
partial screen updates. Will look into this.

> Regarding the scanner, my understanding is that the file
> extension doesn't have anything to do with the codec used -
> e.g. you could have an MPEG2 file called movie.avi or
> movie.mpg or movie.vob. Following this train of thought, is
> it feasible for the scanner to look at the header (assuming
> there is one) in each file in the video path to determine
> whether it is suitable - rather than deciding on the basis of
> the file extension?

It is feasible, got to work out what to look for though. Any ideas?

Thanks
Tony