Re: MVP file extensions

  • Subject: Re: MVP file extensions
  • From: "Rob West" <xplworld@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:58:22 -0000

Hi Tony,

Have you seen the MVP message boards at http://www.shspvr.com/forum/?

There's lots of exciting stuff there (via links to their FTP server),
including a dongle.bin dated 7th December 2004. There
are also various messages about skins and newer versions of the server
software; maybe there are some new files available that could be harnessed
by xPLRioNet?

There's also a message there saying that the "latest" server
software will
transcode DivX on the fly. (I'm not sure about handling multiple units
though. I'm also uncertain of whether this means xPLRioNet would be able to
do it too!)

Regarding the scanner, my understanding is that the file extension doesn't
have anything to do with the codec used - e.g. you could have an MPEG2 file
called movie.avi or movie.mpg or movie.vob. Following this train of
thought,
is it feasible for the scanner to look at the header (assuming there is
one)
in each file in the video path to determine whether it is suitable - rather
than deciding on the basis of the file extension?

Rob.