Re: motion detectors: need some input

  • Subject: Re: motion detectors: need some input
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:24:35 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@f...>
wrote:

> I've read that PIRs can generate a lot of X10 messages - not only
> would they block each others messages, but they would also interfere
> with any X10 message you wanted to send in response.  Personally,
> I'd keep PIR traffic off the powerline completely.

We've done quite a lot of testing on the "multiple PIR problem".

In fact, the majority of the interference seems to happen in the RF
domain - ie in sending the signal from the PIR to the TM (RF trasceiver.)

X-10 mains devices are reasonable (not great) at backing off and
resending once you're onto the powerline. It's the one-way raw
transmit through the air that's where you get your problems.

It's worth noting that, while I run a training course that shows
installers how to use X10 PIRs, I use wired ones myself :-) In my case
I connect them up with Homevision, though if I didn't already have a
Homevision, I'd definitely consider a VIOM.

Regards,

Mark