RE: Re: Shot Down in Flames

  • Subject: RE: Re: Shot Down in Flames
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:59:25 -0000

Hi Steve,

> Could this approach be used to provide synchronized playback
> on a number of xPLRIONet devices in different rooms with winamp?

Nope, since the devices would still need to connect at exactly the same
time
etc.

By this I mean that the devices will start to fill their buffers before
playing, and therefore end up out of synch still (other than by pure luck!)

Cross device synching is on the agenda though, since xplrionet should be
able to command devices to start together.

E.g. rio fills buffer and waits for start signal, exstreamer fills buffer
and waits for start signal etc

This isn't perfect though, and never can be, because of latency in the
packets being sent across the network. The approach I've taken with the
rio's is to use a single broadcast message in the hope they receive it at
the same time. Other devices will need to be told to start individually, so
much more difficult.

Regards
Tony