RE: Changes to Playlist

  • Subject: RE: Changes to Playlist
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:11:14 -0000

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, but there doesn't seem to be a general
consensus?

I see development of xplrionet being divided into 3 main groups of
"must
haves", "would be nice" and "the grey area
inbetween"

With "must haves" being the main priority, and "would be
nice" being
somewhere down the road.

Typically "would be nice" includes things like save/schedule
shoutcasts,
save playlists etc (one plan is to keep an audit of played tracks,
including
the device it played on, to produce various automatic playlists)

But for now I want to concentrate on the "must haves"

E.g. bug fixes, ensuring every supported device has all the functions of
other devices (where possible) and improvements to system etc etc

Coming back to the playlist then:

Random is a real fly in the ointment, as it isn't really a case that random
does a single big mix up of tracks - it really needs to be dynamic. i.e. it
only randomises as it needs to (so when switched off again there is some
order to everything). I also would prefer that tracks in a playlist only
play once per playlist cycle.

So I suggest (and this is open to discussion) we follow the following path
(the idea being this gets the core structure/functionality into place - my
main concern - and we can always add enhancements for further control
later)

A) Tracks get queued in the order they are added

B) The playlist displays played tracks first, then playing/waiting tracks
below

C) The random feature (when on) causes the 'next' track to be randomly
selected from the waiting tracks

D) when random switched off (after being on) tracks are played in original
order from remaining 'waiting' tracks

E) we have the ability to move a track up/down, move a track to top/bottom,
play immediately, delete (deleted tracks are actually moved to the played
list? Or should they be removed from the list completely).

F) at the end if "repeat all" is selected then tracks are
restored to
original order, and the whole sequence above begins again

This doesn't cover all the functions requested so far, but these can be
actioned later. What this gives us is a core that can be enhanced at a
later
date.

With regards to 'E' I think initially the manipulation should only be
allowed on 'waiting' tracks, to keep it simple. Thoughts?

Thoughts/comments?

Many thanks
Tony