Re: Changes to Playlist

  • Subject: Re: Changes to Playlist
  • From: "timmysaw2" <timmysaw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:20:05 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Tony Tofts" <tony@x> wrote:
> A) manipulation of playlist in web interface (and device menus)
Sweet. I've been hoping for this. I find the current web interface a
bit confussing.

> B) allow skip back on random mode
Very good.

> But what should happen when finished playing all tracks?
>
> 1) Restore tracks to playlist in the order they were played (which
could be
> random compared to the order they were added)?
I'm not sure I understand the description here--If it was a random
list, when the list finishes I would expect it to return to the
beginning of that random list--not a shuffled version of that random
list.  That is to say, a playlist is a playlist and is persistent
until cleared. Not reshuffled when finished. If tracks were added
amid the playlist, those are now part of the "active" playlist.

> 2) Keep a separate list of the tracks original order and restore
to original
> order?
There should be a record of tracks in their original play order
always maintained so that if Random is turned off the playlist
reverts back to that list.

> With regard to the current playlist should it still show 'played'
tracks? If
> so, should it tag them in someway? Or should the current playlist
show
> played tracks (in order played) and then current/next/waiting
tracks?
One visible already played track is sufficient mostly. If the active
playlist is being displayed, I would enjoy the option to scroll back
through the list to see what was played.  Then I could answer that
nagging question, "Didn't I just hear this set of tunes 5 songs
ago?!?"

> What options on playlist interface? E.g. track up, track down,
play now,
- Most importantly: various modes of editing the playlist are
required. You need to include a Insert, Append, Replace, Swap.
o Insert puts next track(s) selected next in the playlist order,
o Append puts next track(s) selected at end of current playlist,
o Replace deletes next playlist track and inserts next selecte
track at that location.
o Swap transposes the currently indicated track with the next
track in the list. A kind of reorder.
- to be sure, the standard controls, skip forward/back, random
(press again reshuffle), repeat 1 (press again=repeat all, press
again=random off),
- Search for track (ideally based on the remote's alpha key
controls)
- User assignible playlist are really cool: Search for playlist
named 3, and right off my Christmas playlist starts.

- Bookmarks are very important, especially after crafting a nice
playlist, one wants to be able to resume after some interruption..

- Mulitiple display modes (remote Info button toggles):
o Now & Next (last, current track, next few)
o Track Detail (shows all tag info, scrolls to extended)
o Track detail w/varing levels of timing information (curr
position/total play time, time remaining track, time remaining
playlist, etc.)
o visuals?

oh, I guess I've diverged from "playlist" suggestions...

Thanks again Tony!
Tim