Re: Email Test & Introduction

  • Subject: Re: Email Test & Introduction
  • From: "Tom Van den Bon" <tvdbon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:53:48 -0000

Hi Tom, (hehe)

> Welcome to the list.  Funny to see somebody here with a similar name.
> Let's create some confusion ;-)

This can get very confusing. I like it. ;)

> So what are those xPL-applications you are thinking about ?

Well, my plan of action is as follow:

(1) Make all my current HA hardware xPL compatible. This includes
among other a gateway to my k8000 board and a gateway to my gsm modem.
(2) Create something similiar to xPLHal, but for linux to handle
events, scripts, timed events, etc.
(3) Create some plugins for Freevo (http://www.freevo.org) for
controlling my HA devices and to monitor them.
(4) Create a decent GUI. By this I mean that I want to create
something similiar to ActiveHome and other HA Graphical Interfaces.
The object is to create a nice looking GUI that can be used around the
house on touch screens and other displays. This section is partly the
integration with Freevo, but I'd like to have something standalone.

I've got this setup currently running at home but without any xPL. I
did a Home Automation project for university, but I used a mySQL
server to keep track of the devices and messages. Too bad I didn't
know about xPL when I started. I've also got a GUI going (I'll post
some screenshots), but starting everything over with xPL will be good
way to integrate everything I learned over the past year doing the
university project. Funny how a program turns out better the second
time you write it....

(5) Develop other cool things to interact with xPL.

I'll have a page up soon on what I'm planning and the progress of it.

Regards,
Tom