RE: X10 Schema and Preset Dim

  • Subject: RE: X10 Schema and Preset Dim
  • From: "Eric Vickery" <ericvic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:13:05 -0600

That seems like an odd abstraction of the X10 protocol. If the
underlying hardware is suppose to pick the correct then what command
would you put in the xPL message, just a dim? If that is the case why
does the X10 schema document not describe that and why are the preset
dim commands in the schema. I think for an X10 schema it should reflect
the actual X10 protocol, if it was going to be abstracted then (in my
opinion) the schema shouldn't have been called X10. Some X10 devices use
the preset dim commands to invoke scenes, where would I put the preset
dim level for those instances? If the level= value must be 0-100% then
it would be a violation of the schema to use that name/value pair,
wouldn't it?

I know nobody likes to document (me included) but with all this
knowledge of the intricacies of the schema just in peoples heads it
makes it very hard to get started using xPL.

Eric