Re: xplMediaNet xpl Goals...

Tony, thank you for the reply and the encouragement.  :)

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Tony Tofts" <tony@x> wrote:
> Welcome
>
> > Things I think I can do:  (am I right?)
> > 1.  I believe that I can setup a central system to store
> > MP3s, recorded TV, pictures, and radio station URLs for use
> > on the MediaMVP through your xplMediaNet.
>
> Hopefully! Once MVP support is available that is.
>

> > 2.  I don't plan on buying 13 MediaMVPs but start with a
> > couple to test and expand flexibly within the constrants of
> > my wired ethernet network.
>
> Good plan
>
> > 3.  I plan on having various automated controls through the
> > house including three video cameras at various locations
> > (front door, back door, baby's room).  I want to set these up
> > to record on motion and store on my central server PVR as
> > well as play back real-time on the MVP.
>
> Not sure if anyone has written anything to capture pictures via xpl
yet.

Hmm, I hadn't actually considered capturing the picture via xpl
(whatever that would mean), but I suppose...  I haven't looked at
depth at this area, but I was expecting to use some cheapo webcam or
security cameras with X10 motion sensors as triggers.   My assumption
was that MediaNet would provide the viewing client-side of the business.

Just had a thought... if xpl is capable, maybe using a remote
controlled camera for axis and zoom control with a MVP remote through
MediaNet.  That would be sweet.

> xPLMediaNet will have a webcam module, and I guess we could have
> functionality to allow images to be captured on demand via xpl
>
> > Things I haven't quite got:
> > 1.  I will have a DVD changer in the media room.  I would
> > like to be able to address and play/stream a DVD directly to
> > a MVP.  Is this possible?  A solution needs to address the
> > distance between the media room and the central server as
> > well as a software process for delivering the media into the
> > corrent format.
>
> Not sure how this would be achieved. I will be trying to stream a pc
based
> dvd via xplmedianet, but not sure how you would handle a dvd
changer. I have
> a dvd changer and use a video/audio matrix switch to channel it's
output
> around the house (I do this over cat5 with Keiths kat5 units - they
use cat5
> cable, but arent over the network)

I'll look into your solution, but I don't understand how it interacts
with MediaNet, what am I missing?  (I think you're saying that they
are separate.)

My thought on this involved cabling the video feed into a computer PVR
solution and then letting MediaNet serve it back out to the clients on
the network.  Is this possible?  For control issues I'd use an RF to
IR remote outside of MediaNet if required.  Related to this idea, will
MediaNet support tiVo-like functions from a computer PVR?  I don't
think I've seen the answer clearly spelled out for real-time data.

> If you really want to stream over the network then you probably need
to burn
> the cd's to hard drives, streaming a dvd from an iso image on a
harddrive is
> again something I'll be looking at for xplmedianet (as well as
streaming
> directly from tivo)

I think that mostly answers my real-time video question if I can
safely replace 'tivo' with a different PVR solution.

> > 2.  The delivery integration method of various audio/video
> > inputs into the available content for the MediaMVP
>
> Sorry, don't undertand that oAne!

I agree it wasn't very clear... my general question was, that if I
could serve an arbitrary video source, or audio source to the server
computer then how hard would it be to get MediaNet to deliver it to
any station around the house?

> > Dreaming??:
> > 1.  When the front doorbell rings I hear it through the MVP
speakers?

> Easy. When my doorbell rings it sends me an e-mail and sms, plays a
wav on a
> central speaker and can send an announcement to any xplmedianet
device (I
> use tts as this can overlay playing music). With an mvp there's an
issue in
> that it might be playing a video which can't be overlayed. Though I'm
> hopeful that I'll be able to have a stop video/play
announcment/resume video
> option.

Awesome!  How many events do you have programmed this way?

> > 2.  OSD of reminders in the calendar and OSD of immediate
> > automation events.
>
> Xplmedianet will support an xpl menu system that can be used for
this, or
> any xpl enabled OSD could be used

Exactly what I wanted.

> > 3.  Programmable events to the automation software through
> > the MVP system?
>
> You'd have to create an xpl menu on the mvp, but yes if I understand
what
> you want this should be achievable. You can also pre-program the
remote
> control to run macro's etc to make things happen on demand (I control
> cable/tivo/dvd changer/lights/tv power/run macros etc using a single
> rio/ddar remote control with xplhal scripting)

Perfect.  So, then when I'm in the media room, I can set a flag to
make certain that events are sent only to my console instead of
blasting the house.  I really dig this.

> > 4.  Central Air Control
>
> Assuming were not talking air traffic control (13 zones is a big house
-
> suggestion, don't leave the "landing lights" on - sorry
couldn't resist)
> being able to xpl control it would be down to how the particular
aircon
> system could be automated...

Actually, I was talking about air traffic control.  I'm going to be
about four miles from one of the busiest airports in the US, so I want
to help them out.  :P

I understand your answer.  Eventually I'm looking for an integrated
control system, (possibly with xpl) that ... for example... checks the
outside temperature, and when my kids leave doors and windows open,
will alert me to the problem and if unresolved will then turn off the
AC automatically.  (That particular example would have been nice to
have in place two months ago when my 9 year old left her bedroom
window open for days.)

> > How close can I get?
> > I haven't bought a thing yet, any suggestions for any parts?
> > Which of these is going to be the hardest to accomplish?
>
> You can get pretty close. An MVP would be a good starting point, so
you can
> see what it can do thru xplmedianet (which is nothing at the moment,
though
> xplrionet would give a fair guide as to what it will do).

I think I will.  I missed a $10 off coupon from buy.com that would
have made it match the Amazon marketplace price.  Anybody know where
to get these cheap?  (Is this an approriate new thread topic for this
board?)

Thank You,
Jared Allen