RE: xplMediaNet xpl Goals...

  • Subject: RE: xplMediaNet xpl Goals...
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:59:00 +0100

Welcome=20

> Things I think I can do:  (am I right?)
> 1.  I believe that I can setup a central system to store=20
> MP3s, recorded TV, pictures, and radio station URLs for use=20
> on the MediaMVP through your xplMediaNet.=20=20

Hopefully! Once MVP support is available that is.

> 2.  I don't plan on buying 13 MediaMVPs but start with a=20
> couple to test and expand flexibly within the constrants of=20
> my wired ethernet network.

Good plan

> 3.  I plan on having various automated controls through the=20
> house including three video cameras at various locations=20
> (front door, back door, baby's room).  I want to set these up=20
> to record on motion and store on my central server PVR as=20
> well as play back real-time on the MVP.

Not sure if anyone has written anything to capture pictures via xpl yet.

xPLMediaNet will have a webcam module, and I guess we could have
functionality to allow images to be captured on demand via xpl

> Things I haven't quite got:
> 1.  I will have a DVD changer in the media room.  I would=20
> like to be able to address and play/stream a DVD directly to=20
> a MVP.  Is this possible?  A solution needs to address the=20
> distance between the media room and the central server as=20
> well as a software process for delivering the media into the=20
> corrent format.

Not sure how this would be achieved. I will be trying to stream a pc based
dvd via xplmedianet, but not sure how you would handle a dvd changer. I
hav=
a dvd changer and use a video/audio matrix switch to channel it's output
around the house (I do this over cat5 with Keiths kat5 units - they use
cat=
5
cable, but arent over the network)

If you really want to stream over the network then you probably need to
bur=
the cd's to hard drives, streaming a dvd from an iso image on a harddrive
i=
again something I'll be looking at for xplmedianet (as well as streaming
directly from tivo)

> 2.  The delivery integration method of various audio/video=20
> inputs into the available content for the MediaMVP

Sorry, don't undertand that one!

> Dreaming??:
> 1.  When the front doorbell rings I hear it through the MVP speakers?

Easy. When my doorbell rings it sends me an e-mail and sms, plays a wav on
=
central speaker and can send an announcement to any xplmedianet device (I
use tts as this can overlay playing music). With an mvp there's an issue in
that it might be playing a video which can't be overlayed. Though I'm
hopeful that I'll be able to have a stop video/play announcment/resume
vide=
option.

> 2.  OSD of reminders in the calendar and OSD of immediate=20
> automation events.

Xplmedianet will support an xpl menu system that can be used for this, or
any xpl enabled OSD could be used

> 3.  Programmable events to the automation software through=20
> the MVP system?

You'd have to create an xpl menu on the mvp, but yes if I understand what
you want this should be achievable. You can also pre-program the remote
control to run macro's etc to make things happen on demand (I control
cable/tivo/dvd changer/lights/tv power/run macros etc using a single
rio/ddar remote control with xplhal scripting)

> 4.  Central Air Control

Assuming were not talking air traffic control (13 zones is a big house -
suggestion, don't leave the "landing lights" on - sorry couldn't
resist)
being able to xpl control it would be down to how the particular aircon
system could be automated...

> How close can I get?=20=20
> I haven't bought a thing yet, any suggestions for any parts?=20=20
> Which of these is going to be the hardest to accomplish?

You can get pretty close. An MVP would be a good starting point, so you can
see what it can do thru xplmedianet (which is nothing at the moment, though
xplrionet would give a fair guide as to what it will do).

HTH

Regards
Tony