RE: Re: xplMediaNet xpl Goals...

  • Subject: RE: Re: xplMediaNet xpl Goals...
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:33:34 +0100

> Hmm, I hadn't actually considered capturing the picture via
> xpl (whatever that would mean), but I suppose...  I haven't
> looked at depth at this area, but I was expecting to use some
> cheapo webcam or
> security cameras with X10 motion sensors as triggers.   My assumption
> was that MediaNet would provide the viewing client-side of
> the business.

xPLMediaNet will be able to display the images via it's webcam module (I
use
this with xplrionet). I have access to cameras around the house (though the
module was originally designed for internet webcams). An xpl x10 app and
xplhal scripting would pick up on the motion detection. Xplhal could then
send an xpl message to xplmedianet to capture some images. There are a
number of ways of doing it though.

> Just had a thought... if xpl is capable, maybe using a remote
> controlled camera for axis and zoom control with a MVP remote
> through MediaNet.  That would be sweet.

We'd need an xpl app for controlling the axis/zoom. Then when viewing the
webcam you would lock the mvp's remote making it available to send
remote.basic messages that xplhal could then send to the axis/zoom app.

> I'll look into your solution, but I don't understand how it
> interacts with MediaNet, what am I missing?  (I think you're
> saying that they are separate.)

Yes, separate. Though I control the video switcher and all the video
equipment via an xpl enabled ir sender (a redrat2). Can also barcode scan a
dvd cover and have xpl load the correct dvd in the changer.

> My thought on this involved cabling the video feed into a
> computer PVR solution and then letting MediaNet serve it back
> out to the clients on the network.  Is this possible?  For
> control issues I'd use an RF to IR remote outside of MediaNet
> if required.  Related to this idea, will MediaNet support
> tiVo-like functions from a computer PVR?  I don't think I've
> seen the answer clearly spelled out for real-time data.

If we can create a 'source' module capable of grabbing the video source and
convert it to mpg for mvp, then this would be possible. This won't be one
of
the initially available sources, but it can be looked at.

> I think that mostly answers my real-time video question if I
> can safely replace 'tivo' with a different PVR solution.

Personally tivo is my own personal preference. Xplrionet already has a
module for streaming tivo recordings to the mvp's. And I'll be looking at
having it also stream tivo recordings that have been downloaded to a pc
hard
drive.

> I agree it wasn't very clear... my general question was, that
> if I could serve an arbitrary video source, or audio source
> to the server computer then how hard would it be to get
> MediaNet to deliver it to any station around the house?

Mediacasts already allow the soundcard input to be made available to all
xplmedianet devices, I guess video would work the same way in principle but
videocasts are a little way off yet

> Awesome!  How many events do you have programmed this way?

All kinds of things, there were some posts to the list (last week I think)
that tell you the sort of things people are doing.

> Perfect.  So, then when I'm in the media room, I can set a
> flag to make certain that events are sent only to my console
> instead of blasting the house.  I really dig this.

With xplhal scripting/determinators you can do just about anything like
this

> I understand your answer.  Eventually I'm looking for an
> integrated control system, (possibly with xpl) that ... for
> example... checks the outside temperature, and when my kids
> leave doors and windows open, will alert me to the problem
> and if unresolved will then turn off the AC automatically.
> (That particular example would have been nice to have in
> place two months ago when my 9 year old left her bedroom
> window open for days.)

I use x10 security switches to monitor the fridge and freezer doors being
left open. Same principle really. I also use these on some internal doors
so
if the bedroom door is opened it triggers the landing lights being switched
on (because it's a quicker response than the x10 motion sensor on the
landing)

> I think I will.  I missed a $10 off coupon from buy.com that
> would have made it match the Amazon marketplace price.
> Anybody know where to get these cheap?  (Is this an
> approriate new thread topic for this
> board?)

I think most active members on this board are outside the US, though those
in the US might be able to advise

Regards
Tony