xPLMediaNet Web Interface Issue

  • Subject: xPLMediaNet Web Interface Issue
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:50:24 +0100

Hi all,

Have built the web interface very similar to the existing one in xPLRioNet,
but using the structure recommended by Steve (many thanks Steve).

Basically there is a core web server, this loads the appropriate client
page
and maps out all the default functions/status screen that are common to all
devices, it then passes the web page to the particular client module to
deal
with any non-standard client-side items, and then passes the page to the
current source module to fill in the list of items/indexes etc

This all works very well :-)

But a thought just hit me. If someone wants to write a totally different
web
server module, then they would also have to publish new versions of the
clients and sources... Not good

I'm trying to think of a way of redesigning the web stuff so that more than
one server can run, and pick up it's own client/source modules - this won't
be easy.

Alternatively, I can keep all the client/source code in the single web
server module.

I'm thinking the latter option is the best, as it means a new web server
can
be written independent of the clients/sources and more than one can be used
in a single xplmedianet system (e.g. I'm writing a generic web interface
for
all devices, whereas someone might want to write a web server specifically
for the rio that displays a picture of a rio etc)

The downside is that the master web module will need to be updated whenever
a new device is added to xplmedianet.

Any thoughts/comments please as once I start I don't want to have to trash
it all and start over yet again?

Many thanks
Tony