RE: xPLMediaNet Devices Controlling Devices - important please

  • Subject: RE: xPLMediaNet Devices Controlling Devices - important please
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:18:44 +0100

Hi Andy,

> Is this with regard to syncing devices?

No, this is an ability to remote control another device

E.g. controlling an exstreamer that has no display from an MVP that does,
or
changing the music playing upstairs when you can't be bothered to go up
there!

Not sure how synching will be controlled, but then synching won't be
implemented in the first release (as it isn't in the current version of
xplrionet)

Currently a device cannot take control of another device that is in
master/slave mode, but now you mention it it would probably be a good idea
if another device can say "I want to control now" and so have the
master/slave disconnect and the new master take it over.

I believe synch will be a totally different kettle of fish (i.e. all units
in a synch group will work in conjunction and be controlled from any unit),
and remote control will live quite happily and seperately from this.

> I understand this, but wouldn't it make sense to do something like:
>
> if alldevices == thesametype then
>       control and display on all
> else
>       lock all but master

Maybe. But the use of the word 'all' suggests youre thinking synch again?
Which it isn't...

One thing to remember is that the master could be doing something totally
different in the background, i.e. playing blondie and the slave being
controlled might be doing a shoutcast (and while youre controlling the
slave
the master might be told by xpl to play yet something else

> even then I'm not sure I like the idea of locking the
> display/control. What If I press stop on the master and then
> forget about it and go out, then SWMBO tries to put music on
> from a slave?

The way it's working  at the moment is that slave still works indepentently
of master, so she wouldn't know (and the master won't start playing as
there's no synch involved. The only remaining issue is the varying screen
sizes, and I think I can work around this (since I did something similar in
xplrionet to resize the menu's for osd display).

Regards
Tony