Re: REPOST: isdncid

  • Subject: Re: REPOST: isdncid
  • From: John B
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:45:00 +0000

Hi Graham,

> I have xplhal up ad running on my XP Pro based HA server. I also
> have the Tivo xpl stuff installed and can send a message from xplhal
> and see it appear on the Tivo. Not a huge achievement I know, but
> this is the first time I've had this functionality since the move
> to .Net and native Tivo apps.

Good stuff.

> I use the ISDNCID software on the HA server too, it does clever CAPI
> stuff including CID. Previously, I had installed Ian's xPL
> application to work with this and to send a CID message out that
> Tivo picked up. I want the same functionality again, but I'm stuck
> for a few reasons. First I don't know the command strings that were
> entered into the ISDNCID software to trigger Ian's xPL app. Second I
> don't know if Ian's xPL app works in a .Net environment, will I have
> to install something else on the HA server? Finally, I don't know if
> I could/should involve xplhal in this process now, after all I am
> assuming that through xplhal I could do fun things like log caller
> details to a database and squirt them out to other display devices
> like PC's or VFD's (when I finally get round to setting one up).
>
> So, any advice would be most welcome.

I'll leave Ian to comment directly on his xPL app, but there's no reason
why it
shouldn't work in combination with .NET apps.
xPLHal's job would be to pick up the CID messages sent out by Ian's app,
and to
send out OSD messages to things like Tivo, as well as doing anything else
you
wanted, like database logging.

> Following on from this, having the Tivo display the CID is great,
> but what can I do when watching films? Now before someone starts
> talking about hardware/software to inject text into a video feed, I
> should state that my films are all watched from a PC connected to a
> plasma via VGA.
>
> It seems to me that this should make it easier, after all if I am
> watching video on a PC (usually through zoomplayer or windvd) and
> that PC receives an xPL message that it needs to display, surely it
> can just 'layer' the text on top of the video? Has anyone tried
> this, is there an xPL app already that would do this? Of course the
> same would also be required when listening to music through the PC
> with a visualisation running and I guess for those who play games or
> run screen savers on their PCs, there might be a requirement to
> flash up something there too. Of course I am not able to write any
> of this, but I am willing to test it ;-)

Peter C has a native xPL OSD app for the PC... I'm sure there's a link to
it on
www.xplproject.org.uk, but I'm not sure where it is.

However, when watching video full screen, you are usually viewing a DirectX
overlay, so I'm not sure if anything that an app put up on the desktop
would be
visible without pausing/hiding the overlay first.

What OS are you using on the machine that you use for watching videos?

Regards,

John