REPOST: isdncid

  • Subject: REPOST: isdncid
  • From: Graham Howe
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:32:00 +0000

Sorry if this is duplicated by my original post of this morning
eventually arriving here, but I thought I'd ask again through the
web interface. I'm also taking the opportunity to waffle a bit
more ;-)

I have xplhal up ad running on my XP Pro based HA server. I also
have the Tivo xpl stuff installed and can send a message from xplhal
and see it appear on the Tivo. Not a huge achievement I know, but
this is the first time I've had this functionality since the move
to .Net and native Tivo apps.

I use the ISDNCID software on the HA server too, it does clever CAPI
stuff including CID. Previously, I had installed Ian's xPL
application to work with this and to send a CID message out that
Tivo picked up. I want the same functionality again, but I'm stuck
for a few reasons. First I don't know the command strings that were
entered into the ISDNCID software to trigger Ian's xPL app. Second I
don't know if Ian's xPL app works in a .Net environment, will I have
to install something else on the HA server? Finally, I don't know if
I could/should involve xplhal in this process now, after all I am
assuming that through xplhal I could do fun things like log caller
details to a database and squirt them out to other display devices
like PC's or VFD's (when I finally get round to setting one up).

So, any advice would be most welcome.

Following on from this, having the Tivo display the CID is great,
but what can I do when watching films? Now before someone starts
talking about hardware/software to inject text into a video feed, I
should state that my films are all watched from a PC connected to a
plasma via VGA.

It seems to me that this should make it easier, after all if I am
watching video on a PC (usually through zoomplayer or windvd) and
that PC receives an xPL message that it needs to display, surely it
can just 'layer' the text on top of the video? Has anyone tried
this, is there an xPL app already that would do this? Of course the
same would also be required when listening to music through the PC
with a visualisation running and I guess for those who play games or
run screen savers on their PCs, there might be a requirement to
flash up something there too. Of course I am not able to write any
of this, but I am willing to test it ;-)