xPLRioNet 3.8j

  • Subject: xPLRioNet 3.8j
  • From: "Jim Ginn" <jimginn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:39:10 -0000

Tony, I upgraded from i to j this weekend.  The transcoding works well
at the suggested setting of --preset 128.  I also tried using --preset
standard which gives an avg bit rate in the 170-210 range.
Interestingly, within one or two songs the skipping/drop-outs began.
Either the threshold for the skipping problem is much lower than
previously thought or I had songs playing that transcoded with an
unusually high number of 320k frames.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody using the mp3 transcoding
whether other settings are being used and how successful you are.  I
may try various CBR settings over the next week to see how high I can
push it.

WRT features, I only have the Rio right now so I'm particularly
interested in a solution to the 320kbps issue.  I would also like to
see the server software support multiple genres per track.  Most
albums fall into more than one musical style and a few ID3 taggers
support adding multiple genre frames to the tag. I peaked at the
database structure and saw that GenreID was part of the Track record
so it would mean a structure change.