Re: Why does xPLHal need a plugin to deal with a xPL Device?

Hi Gerry,

> I've been recently playing with xPLHal trying to use it to test my
Java
> framework, specifically in the configuration area.  However, I find it
will
> not let me configure a device -- it keeps claiming that there is
novendor
> info for it.

This is usually because the device hasn't responded to a request for a
config.list or a config.current.
I'll need to check the exact cause.

> While I can see the benefit of providing a config file or something to
help
> make xPLHals job easier, I don't understand why it refuses to deal
with a
> device until it has that file.  It can get everything it needs to
configure
> a device sing the config protocol.

Indeed - and it does.
The message you're seeing has nothing to do with vendor plug-in files.
(maybe this is a slightly misleading message - I may see about changing it)

All the vendor files do is provide a context-menu when someone right-clicks
on your device, provide friendly help text during configuration, and
provide a list of actions and other messages that your device can send out
for use by determinators.

xPLHal's core configuration process does not depend on vendor-supplied
plug-in files.

I'll check why that error is appearing, but I'd suggest you delete all
files from xPLHal's config and vendor folders that relate to the device
you're trying to configure.

If xPLHal sends out a request for a config.list, and it doesn't get a
reply, it assumes the device can't support remote configuration.
You may need to delete the files mentioned above, and restart the xPLHal
service to get it to try and query the device again.

HTH,

John