Why does xPLHal need a plugin to deal with a xPL Device?

  • Subject: Why does xPLHal need a plugin to deal with a xPL Device?
  • From: Gerry Duprey <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:28:46 -0500

Howdy,

I've been recently playing with xPLHal trying to use it to test my Java
framework, specifically in the configuration area.  However, I find it will
not let me configure a device -- it keeps claiming that there is novendor
info for it.

While I can see the benefit of providing a config file or something to help
make xPLHals job easier, I don't understand why it refuses to deal with a
device until it has that file.  It can get everything it needs to configure
a device sing the config protocol.

Can anyone explain

1) why this is -- why can't xPLHal be a bit more "open" to newly
discovered
devices and allow configuration of devices that are configurable (send
config.app) but otherwise it has not heard from before?

2) what is the minimum I have to do to register a new vendor and device?  I
tried copying one of the xml files in the plugins directory, stripping out
everything but the <device id=xxxx></device> tags and
restarting both xPLHal
and it's windows service, but it still will not let me configure a device
--
it keeps giving the same error.

Any help and understanding would be appreciated,

Gerry
--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103