Re: xplrionet issues (DHCP)

  • Subject: Re: xplrionet issues (DHCP)
  • From: Graham Howe
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:16:00 +0000

> > and the RioNet, but how can I be sure the units will grab the
Rio
> > one first?
>
> You can't unfortunately, you should only have 1 dhcp server on a
network in
> practice

Yeah that's what I suspected

> > OK, I'll have to come clean, I'm not the networking God that
> > everyone thinks I am ;-) WTF is an ethereal dump and how do I go
> > about generating one?
>
> My illusions are shattered ;-)

ASP God, SAP God, Pool God, Beer God and Sex God, unfortunately tiem
ran out when it came to networking :-D

> www.ethereal.com (it's free)

My kind of price!

> Warning: I havent a clue if this is safe to install on SBS2003 -
so I
> wouldn't!

Well SBS2003 tends to be pretty stable and anyway I need to rebuild
it soon, so I'm not too concerned. I assume that if I want to see
what's going on with the DHCP from SBS I will have to install this
on the SBS server anyway?

> But hopefully you have the xplrionet software installed (or could
install
> it) on a win xp or w2k pc instead?

It is installed on a XP Pro box, but I don't want to use xplrionet
for DHCP, so will it help running ethereal on this box?

> You need 2 files winp_cap_3_0 and ethereal-setup.exe
>
> I could e-mail the versions I'm using on xp offlist if you like,
but it's
> about 14mb!

Yeah 14Mb, downloading now.