Re: New to group, RS232 input to MisterHouse via xpl and PIC micro?

  • Subject: Re: New to group, RS232 input to MisterHouse via xpl and PIC micro?
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:35:00 +0000

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the grand experiment!

The xPL protocol can be found here: www.xplproject.org.uk under
documentation, core protocol. It has a bunch of provisions for small
devices.

xPL uses message "schemas" for common ha information such as
sensors,
temperature, x10, etc. These are also detailed on the xplproject.org.uk
website. The existing schemas are pretty powerful, and new ones are being
developed.

> I also program Microchip Pic controllers in assembler, and I will be
> passing info to the Pic via, RF modules using the Pic to stream data
> into the serial port.
>
> How suitable is MisterHouse and XPL on a PC, for interfacing via a
> single serial port?

There's xpl support in misterhouse but not actively supported by us yet
(largely through limited Linux dev skills: it's the one big thing that we
are missing right now)

There's a Serial bridge (called devcom) on the PC side (windows) it's a
general purpose application framework for writing serial enabled gateway
apps, and very easy to use. That's on Tony's site at www.xplhal.com

> Where can I find out the required XPL format for my PIC micro needs
> to send to serial port?

There are two ways to go.. either talk xPL on your PIC, in which case, the
serial port is simply bridged: certain xPL messages are passed from the
main network via PC onto PIC.. or you can talk a superlight proprietary
protocol from PC to PIC, and gateway this onto xPL with a bridging
application.

> As I am new to XPL I am not sure of what I need ?

There are a couple of howtos on the xplproject.org.uk website, give us an
idea of what you have, and we can get together a list of bits to download
and setup!

Ian.