Re: New to group, RS232 input to MisterHouse via xpl and PIC micro?

  • Subject: Re: New to group, RS232 input to MisterHouse via xpl and PIC micro?
  • From: vectra999uk2002
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:25:00 +0000

Hi, Ian

Give us an idea of what you have, and we can get together a list of
bits to download and setup!

My LAPTOP PC
------------
Win98
Prroccesor 300mhz Celeron
64mb
Free Disk Space available 500mb
1 RS232 port available

My DESKTOP PC (Preferred option as its spare)
Win98 (WIN95 at moment)
Proccesor 120mhz
24mb
Free Disk Space available 300mb
1 RS232 port available

Task
----
At the moment all I wish to do is have my PC, via RF a 433Mhz module
control a 230Vac Lamp to get an understanding of the system.

I have a ceiling PIR that turns on a RF module connected to a PIC,
this sends data to a RF receiver. At the moment this receiver then
decodes the signal and if correct and it is dark in the room, turns
on a lamp for 30 seconds then switches it Off.

I would like to expand this using a PC to receive info from RF modules
then depending on light sensors, control the house lighting.

I mentioned Misterhouse as its free and it seems to have 'macros' to
control events

Would XPL do this on its own?

Future ideas
------------
Control C/Heating

Keyfob activation of events via RF (X10 protocol) as these are freely
available at a reasonable price.

PC alarm/reminder via RF to modules?

Other?

Any views you have on suitability etc?

Ideally I want to build as cheap as possible, I have worked in
electronics for 20 years so that side is not a problem and PIC asm
skills ok.

How popular is XPL as you dont here much about it?

Thanks Gary