xPL Occupancy Detection

  • Subject: xPL Occupancy Detection
  • From: Tony T
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 11:27:00 +0000

Hi all,

It seems to me that one of the biggest problems in home automation is
occupancy detection.
No single solution (e.g. pir's) seems to solve the problem.

What we need is something more intelligent.

And what better method than to be able to make use of all these xPL message
packets?

An xPL occupancy application could make use of many of these messages to
work out occupancy.
E.g.
PIR's,
Answering a telephone call (if phone is in single place),
Switching a video matrix for a particular zone,
Etc etc
The choices would depend on your indivdual requirements/uses.

With a bit of clever scripting in the application, a much more accurate
occupancy detection should be achievable.
Does this sound like a runner?

Amongst all the ideas and projects I have on the go at the moment, this is
one of my favourites so I'm going to make adding a scripting engine to my
xPL templates and applications a priority.

Any comments on any of the above?

Many thanks
Tony