Re: Wildcarding query

  • Subject: Re: Wildcarding query
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:14:01 -0000

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, "Edward Pearson"
<edward.mailgroup@b...> wrote:
> But this is still only the 'static' setup you described as
> humans coming up with; it was me (I'm human) that decided
> to configure the controllers that way. I'm curious at to
> what you had in mind for 'autonomous controllers'...

It comes from this.

My xAP BSC reception implementation - so far - doesnt do wildcards, it
just has hooks and gaps where wildcard recognition code will go.

But what occured to me as I've been testing using my toy test app and
BSCMapper is that there isnt a wildcard in sight.  There has never
been a wildcarded xAP message on my network.  With a bit more
development I'll have enough send and receive BSC compliance that
HomeBrain can both make use of BSC devices it finds around itself, and
also allow non-BSC devices connected to HomeBrain to be controlled by
other BSC aware "things".

There could  be network of maybe dozens of BSC "things" will all
be
there, and work, and interwork.  But my controller doesnt understand
the concept of generating wildcards.  I dont think anyone elses does
eoither, but I'm just fishing to see if anyone has thought this
through to a mechanism?

It appears true, as ther spec says, that wildcards are a powerful
control mechanism, but I'm wondering just how much use is made of this
in practice.