Re: Re: Wildcarding query

Edward Pearson wrote:
> The main use I make of wild cards is to give some location/device
> independence in my setup. Eg, recently I moved my X10 connector to a
new
> server.

This addresses an issue I have been having with the xAP architecture. It
might be that I juts don't understand the model well enough, but I tend
to end up with a lot of configuration information all over the place, so
that when something changes, a *lot* of stuff has to be updated. This
goes back to the old issue about distributed vs. non-distributed - do
you have one central place that "knows" everything about your
topology,
or are all the components independent. As far as I see, xAP leans
towards the latter, but "hardwiring" gateway addresses and other
topology information defeats this.

Ideally things like X10 gateways should be transparent - so that another
component sends a message to turn on a light instead of a message to an
x10 interface.

Julf