Re: BCS and X10 Question

  • Subject: Re: BCS and X10 Question
  • From: "g8kmh" <g8kmh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:13:23 -0000

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...>=20
wrote:

> g8kmh wrote:
> > --- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...>=20
> > wrote:
> >=20=20=20
plug-in for=20
xFx=20
translated=20
> > into a=20
> >=20=20=20
> >> Is that using the Milford Instrument board ??
> >>=20=20=20=20=20
> >
> > Yes, it is the Milford DMX transmitter board.
> >
> >=20=20=20
> That's great as I have the transmitter and some DMX kit.  BTW=20
There's a=20
> very nicely priced dimmer on offer from CPC currently.
>=20
> 4 Channel DMX Dimmer Pack  =A347+VAT
>=20
> DMX512 or 0-10V Analogue Control
> 16A total load, 5A per channel
> 3-pin XLR I/O
> 8-pin DIN I/O
> IEC Outputs
>=20
> CODE : DP2753068
>=20
> http://tinyurl.com/ad93z

Yes, three arrived yesterday :-) The only downside compared to an NJD=20
DPX12/4 is the size.

>=20
>  At some point we should get together (with Edward who is working=20
on=20
> Dynalite lighting) and thrash out a 'lighting' schema.  At the=20
moment I=20
> have C-Bus implemented using BSC - which works really well but=20
there are=20
> a couple of extra bits that BSC doesn't address that belong in a=20
> lighting schema eg ramp times, simultaneous arrivals, ramp end=20
> announcements,  etc.  I have a badly thought through C-Bus specific=20
> schema currently, main difference being the extra features and=20
overall=20
> reporting of all loads in one message, rather than BSC's individual=20
> ones.=20=20=20
Indeed, one problem I'm currently thinking through for the DMX=20
interface is having to iterate through up to 255(512 future)=20
ID's/channels when responding to a xAPBSC.query and do this quickly=20
whilst matching the subaddress, since the target of the query could=20
be >, subaddress, subaddress.subaddress.

>Using BSC allows for the xAP Netiom to be used (via simple=20
> mapping) as switch inputs to C-Bus or it's outputs to be utilised=20
from=20
> C-Bus.  I have some (limited) mapping hardcoded into my C-Bus=20
gateway=20
> device, I am hoping to refine and release this - eventually ;-) -=20
need=20
> to add press/hold dim etc.
>=20
> Scenes and Groups also rears its head again although I am not sure=20
if=20
> this should sit within the lighting schema or a xAP overall=20
feature.=20
> Possibly both..

Since they may partly form configuration data, a generic solution=20
would be nice.

>=20
>   Kevin

Lehane