Re: sliMP3 Query of playlist index and playlist contents

  • Subject: Re: sliMP3 Query of playlist index and playlist contents
  • From: James
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:01:00 +0000

A bit more playing..

Called a slimp3 Test:Me
This appears as Test%3aMe in viewer.

AFAIK % isn't allowed in a xAP construct:

"This keyword uses alpha-numeric printable characters a..z (a through
z) 0-9 (zero through nine), _ (underscore), - (minus) and, additionally,
embedded _ (space)."

I could me wrong though!

James

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=zTZaFNAIO3GqhibZBJ6XPjyhFmlG3ZLt946Av1dRLLrdvD7deKtDp8rBkYYi2wG6b8rn">James@m...</a>>
wrote:

> >Just before I read this mail I was about to mention that I added a
> >winamp player to the slimp3 server whose name is an IP. In viewer
this
> >appears as a 4 sub level device!
>
> Ah, oops! Technically correct, but not what you'd expect really.
>
> >In xaptv which has sub address which are domain names I simply
replace .
> >with _ which seems to work well, if that helps :-)
>
> That's what I do too for POP3 mailboxes and user names (e.g.
> xapframework_net). It doesn't look so bad does it? I think Kevin has
> done that in the past when he put space characters in some subaddress
> value and xAPFramework said "NNNnnoooooo, I'm not having any of
that!"

> Michael, dots are fine as they are seen as a deepening of the source
> address ie "Top.Lower.Bottom" instead of a single word.
Hence the
> multi-level device that James has found.
>
> Well, James' experiments show that it'll work with the latest Slim
> Connector and that Viewer copes happily enough it seems. But it's
> maybe not ideal.
>
> However, if I change the dots to underscores, how do I know when to
> change back again, other than recognising the format of an IP address
> and dealing with that as a special case. A Slim could be named like
> any of these examples:
>
> Office
> Slim.Office
> 192.168.1.232
> Slim_Office
> Slim_Office_Upstairs
>
> It might be better to leave the name alone in its dotted form. OR... I
> can provide a name translation table for the Connector such that you
> can use any name you like on the Slim Server, but on the xAP network
> you use something else, so instead of seeing
> KCSoft.SliMP3.Anya:192.168.1.232, you'd instead use
> KCSOft.SliMP3.Anya:192_168_1_232 in your xAP messages, knowing how
> you'd configured the xAP devices/applications for your network. Then
> the Slim Connector, and only the Slim Connector, would know you meant
> the Slim named "192.168.1.232" in its dealings with the
SlimServer