Re: sliMP3 Query of playlist index and playlist contents

  • Subject: Re: sliMP3 Query of playlist index and playlist contents
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:00:00 +0000

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:01:29 +0000, James <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=1ssgLA4tZdL5sQpCUZIgM9Ad6UQhpAS6aUge43M3yh74MCSWIBmRi95CkdtqWhyJeOoCgSncCQ">James@m...</a>>
wrote:

>A bit more playing..
>
>Called a slimp3 Test:Me
>This appears as Test%3aMe in viewer.

Ah, I know what's doing that, but see below for more on this...

>AFAIK % isn't allowed in a xAP construct:
>
>"This keyword uses alpha-numeric printable characters a..z (a
through
>z) 0-9 (zero through nine), _ (underscore), - (minus) and,
additionally,
>embedded _ (space)."

That refers to the keyword or name part of a name/value pair, whereas
in the above it's actually in the value part. However, 2 things spring
out of this:
1) I'm not clear if there are certain characters that are invalid in
an address string, other than space characters.
2) xAPFramework lets dodgy characters through in the name/keyword part
anyway!!! I'm amazed I've never spotted that before!!! For example:

Display.SliMP3
{
Line1%=Hello
Line2=World!
Duration=15
}

Anyway, how well does a percentage sign sit in an address value? If I
decode the escaped characters in this particular case I will end up
with a definitely invalid address. For instance:

Source=KCSoft.SliMP3.Anya:Test:Me

So in this respect I actually think that Test%3aMe is correct, strange
as it may seem. I'm back to what do I do with somewhat more wilder
names assigned for players.

Also space characters work out okay sticking with this mechanism as
they turn up as "Test%20Me".

Dotted separators are fine as you've discovered e.g. "Test.Me"
with
the proviso that they are interpreted as sub-subaddress nodes as per
the xAP spec.

So the question is are % characters allowed in header values in this
way? I had a gander at the spec but I couldn't spot any rules on this.
May have missed it though as I was scanning.

You have helped find a bug in xFx though, where it's not stringent
enough. Darn. d;-))

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=RByaeNItIj3TxXEz9bHiOuhfsxzDJEgSOI2_4K_gNFSi07YgPLiLG_81uoPdhxVhbmD36Cs5r5iZrMLMwwg">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net