Re: sliMP3 Query of playlist index and playlist contents

  • Subject: Re: sliMP3 Query of playlist index and playlist contents
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:46:00 +0000

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:13:40 +0000, James <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=Iy1WFUjMCN8PKXzaCU6BfWh3x90i1I9wT7-mYsPRl86jSKCICkBBMbJzvbuJ4q787H2k">James@m...</a>>
wrote:

>Just before I read this mail I was about to mention that I added a
>winamp player to the slimp3 server whose name is an IP. In viewer this
>appears as a 4 sub level device!

Ah, oops! Technically correct, but not what you'd expect really.

>In xaptv which has sub address which are domain names I simply replace
.
>with _ which seems to work well, if that helps :-)

That's what I do too for POP3 mailboxes and user names (e.g.
xapframework_net). It doesn't look so bad does it? I think Kevin has
done that in the past when he put space characters in some subaddress
value and xAPFramework said "NNNnnoooooo, I'm not having any of
that!"

Michael, dots are fine as they are seen as a deepening of the source
address ie "Top.Lower.Bottom" instead of a single word. Hence the
multi-level device that James has found.

Well, James' experiments show that it'll work with the latest Slim
Connector and that Viewer copes happily enough it seems. But it's
maybe not ideal.

However, if I change the dots to underscores, how do I know when to
change back again, other than recognising the format of an IP address
and dealing with that as a special case. A Slim could be named like
any of these examples:

Office
Slim.Office
192.168.1.232
Slim_Office
Slim_Office_Upstairs

It might be better to leave the name alone in its dotted form. OR... I
can provide a name translation table for the Connector such that you
can use any name you like on the Slim Server, but on the xAP network
you use something else, so instead of seeing
KCSoft.SliMP3.Anya:192.168.1.232, you'd instead use
KCSOft.SliMP3.Anya:192_168_1_232 in your xAP messages, knowing how
you'd configured the xAP devices/applications for your network. Then
the Slim Connector, and only the Slim Connector, would know you meant
the Slim named "192.168.1.232" in its dealings with the
SlimServer
software.

Not sure what characters the Slim Server s/w allows in the naming of a
Slim device and if there are any other translations required. It may
be that this forces the need for an alias table to xAPpify the name of
the player into a valid xAP Source/Target address value.

Any thoughts anyone? If this seems a plausible solution I'll stick it
onto the ToDo list somewhere.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=-CTfu9E5SHKABLuJLgSYJb4itMD_vCF-fzF2XXJW-l1LOQmteOQjLSW30ZVF-_3wDTMJylAuI0qE-f45DQs">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net