Re: Targetting a SliMP3 connector

  • Subject: Re: Targetting a SliMP3 connector
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:04:00 +0000

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:09:53 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=x306FcQsNIteYHPXl_2LHcmREdauV_6Eh8OVKpKQF-qybbmRiC46KV8nzo43hTXUnoKB_Z2dwLOJmwCFDFw-oQo">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

> I would create a hardware sub address for each found SliMP3 player
>and then have addresses like KCSoft.SliMP3.anya:Office.

Oohhhhh, subaddresses. I had forgotten about that.

Yes, I like that. Target my connector directly with
KCSoft.SliMP3.anya, and then add on the Slim name afterwards.

I've not had any reason to use the subaddressing before, but I think
in this case, given that the Slim is a different h/w endpoint of one
node, then:

KCSoft.SliMP3.anya:Office

makes more sense than using further subinstance:

KCSoft.SliMP3.anya.Office

Yes, I think you're right, Kevin, your former option is more natural
and correct than my latter offering.

> This way it is clear
>that there is only one xAP application KCSoft.SliMP3.anya which serves
>several hardware endpoints - your heartbeat remains the same but you
target
>by further qualifying the address with a hardware 'sub' address after
the :

That's a neat line of explanation. I'll have to include it in my
'documentation'.

>Also...if data originates from one of the SliMP3 players (e.g. infra
red
>received) then you would need to create a different UID for each of the
>SliMP3's such that the originator of the IR is clearly defined.
Likewise if
>you were at any stage to send out a 'now playing' summary for a SliMP3
>player - or a status for one player then a unique UID should be used.

OOooooarrrrr, you're right again I feel. Uhoh, a bit more work on the
old connector required then. I have a feeling I really need to buy
another Slim to test all these changes properly.

So I would keep the same first 2 digits (network node address IIRC?),
and the same DeviceID for the application: FF1234__ and then for each
Slim I would define an alternative device sub address, from 01 and up
so that your words below hold true.

KCSoft.SliMP3.anya:Office FF123401
KCSoft.SliMP3.anya:Bedroom1 FF123402

>status response for your whole xAP should however use the UID that ends
in
>00 and a status response that reported all the SliMP3's ( I have
previously
>called this a compound response ) should also use the 00 address.

---

I'm beginning to think that my 'plugin' naming convention isn't
correct. In fact it's different when run as a Windows Service. This is
no big deal. I'll post on this separately.

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=JStT0xlskXJN5yWXAFW8jomDR2fp_244oEN-oVrGB0VGD7SbQ5lA64Rm7RfUyrzW1G5PYoBOk_nnKARg2gI">stuart@x...</a>