RE: Leaving the group.

  • Subject: RE: Leaving the group.
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:50:00 +0000

Ian......

It seems I do little else but keep coming up with the 'bit unfair'
comments in our conversations but yet again this to me falls in that
category... and as you have elected the 'public' post to a xAP list I feel
should respond...

As you will note there has not been a single post to the xPL list
for a week - so to have a go on, and at a xAP list on low traffic is pretty
lame. The xAP lists have over 30 posts in that time. Everyone has real time
pressures and project lists a mile long...

Re the ongoing work with xPL and xAP - as you know I have spent much
time and effort in looking at xPLHal and it's usage in the xAP/xPL bridge
scenario. Indeed you and I have exchanged a ton of messages offlist re
this.
In looking at a practical xAP/xPL bridging implementation I uncovered the
need for a change to be made to xPLHal along the way and the xPL team have
responded quickly to update xPLHal, although getting there as you know was
quite fraught at times. There are still some pending - although not
critical
issues.

You were aware I was not available last week and after the posting
of your xPLHal update last weekend I emailed to John, Tony and yourself (a
week ago) a xPLHal script and some outline instructions to form the basis
of
a 'how to' to get xAP Watcher to act as an onscreen display for your
CallerID application. This was an excellent example for xAP/xPL integration
as it illustrated both the bridging of xAP and xPL and also provided a
needed feature which is one of the great benefits of the bridge in the
first
place. We also incorporated several changes within the xAP Watcher
application (updated by James) to allow it to operate in a way that matched
well with your osd.basic schema.

I asked for feedback. John responded saying he would try to get me
some by this weekend and Tony responded he would take a look at the \n
parsing - you didn't respond at all ! However since then I haven't heard
from any of you at all. I specifically asked for clarification on the
mechanism for multi-line display usage within the schema, particularly
whether repeated osd.basic messages would be used or the rather C based
embedded \n newline characters. In the latter context I also asked what
other character exceptions or delimiters were being used. I haven't heard
anything.

So to say 'nothing is going to happen anytime soon' when the ball
lies in your court I feel does not reflect the current situation - I
haven't
knocked any of you for not responding - we all have time constraints - but
please don't put the lack of response on this in my (our) court when I am
waiting on you !

I have produced some example code for this - but as this was to
possibly appear in your xPL 'how to' discussions I felt it was polite and
appropriate to run it by you all first offlist and check it worked as you
expected - rather than just post to the xPL or xAP lists. You have the code
- please let me have you feedback, (offlist).

Kevin

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=yMD4zhJ-XaTMFzGsWcbN76qpzyrPsRgc91prr8kZtqS5Gx8yO6PflvJ6XvDFGXgKwABdCvU1CzTbF5bfby4">ian@w...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=dmG1u-ei5kyBozI3S1kdPN5LdjMYfEKyJ-928VjDXPMi2R6NDasB1ja3iJTh36WWCRjPT2rAJkrVCf5i1ZXAQD59Uw_0jA">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=VhF6J_YCMkl-Qclu4xpOAnlwA94ZdU_J669xL6_SwIl6fIAMYHCvO0_kFDziIbnPwySXsbHSBzPZeNq7O9E10g">ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx</a>