RE: Targetting a SliMP3 connector

  • Subject: RE: Targetting a SliMP3 connector
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:09:00 +0000

OK - returning from my week of being awl - and a load to catch up on -

- My thoughts... based on my current approach to a similar scenario
with C-Bus - and the previous threads..

I would create a hardware sub address for each found SliMP3 player
and then have addresses like KCSoft.SliMP3.anya:Office. This way it is
clear
that there is only one xAP application KCSoft.SliMP3.anya which serves
several hardware endpoints - your heartbeat remains the same but you target
by further qualifying the address with a hardware 'sub' address after the :
Also...if data originates from one of the SliMP3 players (e.g. infra red
received) then you would need to create a different UID for each of the
SliMP3's such that the originator of the IR is clearly defined. Likewise if
you were at any stage to send out a 'now playing' summary for a SliMP3
player - or a status for one player then a unique UID should be used. A
status response for your whole xAP should however use the UID that ends in
00 and a status response that reported all the SliMP3's ( I have previously
called this a compound response ) should also use the 00 address.

That's my take - any comments anyone ?

Kevin

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=U5WlY2_vBDIQJRiDBlU7s9mNUMlOEsD0p1IENlVJp6cChaJT3noVP9JV-mv4-Y35hhcvm8EDqLOhDMiu3cI64w">lists@x...</a>]
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=vFLPCGXZzKgn94AIb--sc8_AGPZS4jI0IldFujZOsR74J2RXkBdY2lhVTzb4lU7z3ACihp4XRhLVHXxdo0g_lImvQgxAYhbC">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>
> Subject: [xAP_developer] Targetting a SliMP3 connector
>
> Folks,
>
> I have a xAP enabled application that talks to the Slim Server s/w. It
> sends out heartbeat (h/b) messages with a Source of
> "KCSoft.SliMP3.anya" (where 'anya' is the name of my
development
> machine that it's running on at the moment).
>
> If you wanted to send a message to your SliMP3 named
"Office", how
> would you think you would set the target address?
>
> ---
>
> Personally speaking, and I've mentioned this before, I think a target
> of "SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office" to send a message to the SliMP3
named
> "Office" is ideal.
>
> My app picks up those messages and deals with them. Really easy.
>
> ---
>
> However, there's another line of thinking that says this is wrong and
> I should only accept messages targetted at me directly, which I can
> appreciate too.
>
> So which of these do you think is correct for a Target address for the
> "Office" slim, given the h/b Source address I mentioned
before of
> KCSoft.SliMP3.anya:
>
> KCSoft.SliMP3.Office
> KCSoft.SliMP3.SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office
> KCSoft.SliMP3.anya.Office
> KCSoft.SliMP3.anya.SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office
>
> ---
>
> Now, my connector runs as a plugin privately here at the moment. In
> standalone mode it sends out h/b's from KCSoft.SliMP3.anya as you'd
> expect.
>
> But if it runs alongside multiple plugins inside the same runtime (to
> reduce the number of application windows you have open) then it lives
> as:
>
> KCSoft.xAPConsole.anya.SliMP3
>
> Now of course that means that the targetting address for a Slim named
> Office is completely different:
>
> KCSoft.xAPConsole.anya.SliMP3.Office
>
> At this point the code to try and accept all these different possible
> target names is just getting ridiculous, and I feel I'm running down
> the wrong path.
>
> Intercepting SlimDevi.SliMP3.Office is so easy in comparison! No other
> application has to be altered when you change the configuration of the
> connector (even to a truly native xAP listener in the SlimServer s/w
> rather than somebody spying in on the xAP network like I'm doing).
>
> Any thoughts?

> --
> Stuart Booth
> xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=VNb3cPj8MuCh1Oo9LEddcmVgHev-FuN9h3j0xAsnbr1BJM5gwckxA65O0qQED4N2zQD-S8B94Qy-mA1TEoZb">stuart@x...</a>