Re: xAP / xPL Gateway

  • Subject: Re: xAP / xPL Gateway
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 23:35:00 +0000

> >Some questions:
> >Is the xAP Hub available as a windows service?
>
> Well mine certainly is although I don't yet use it as such very often
> as I keep fiddling with things. I don't think there's just one hub app
> though. Patrick has also implemented a dedicated hub too.
>
> In fact every single one of my applications can be the hub too. I
> believe Keiran was doing much the same in his apps as it happens.

Ahh, okay.

well, a quick discussion later, and it looks likely that we will build a
xAP
hub into the xPLHal engine. It already includes an xPL Hub, and as xPLHal
runs as a windows service, and it is likely to simply cause problems if the
xAP hub may or may not be present, it probably makes sense for it to be
embedded.

In essence, the machine with xplhal on it will have automatic xAP and xPL
Hub facilities.

> Once the heartbeat timeout occurs the hub chucks the port connection
> shortly afterwards (when it gets around to it), and the application
> will have to reregister, which it can do on the same port if it still
> has it opened of course.
>
> Once 2 x h/b intervals passes it is disconnected and assumed dead by
> the hub. So all an app needs to do is pump out a h/b within that
> period to be safe.

Okay, that helps. I think we have enough to get building. Tony and John
have
split the work between them, and expect to make quick progress.

> HTH?

Sure did :)

I.