Re: xAP / xPL Gateway

  • Subject: Re: xAP / xPL Gateway
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:44:00 +0000

Hi Ian,

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:23:55 +0100, "Ian Lowe" <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=y6KPLCNyM89zytBVnKlkHZxGaNgAW8TOLHjAgWNmmSHGwT4VIQAupiFLaq3j5jfghpHrVb51zRp4VE73">ian@w...</a>>
wrote:

>Some questions:
>Is the xAP Hub available as a windows service?

Well mine certainly is although I don't yet use it as such very often
as I keep fiddling with things. I don't think there's just one hub app
though. Patrick has also implemented a dedicated hub too.

In fact every single one of my applications can be the hub too. I
believe Keiran was doing much the same in his apps as it happens.

>How do apps register with the Hub?

Using the same initial registration process of sending a heartbeat
with the port address they're listening on in the header. If I
remember correctly it's just Port=<number> in the header.

So effectively there is no particular re-registration process, it just
reuses the existing routine.

>Do apps de-register on close, or is there a heartbeat timeout?

None of mine explicitly de-register, and I don't recall that being
required so as a result I never implemented anything to do that. As
you guessed, I just rely on the h/b timeout.

Once the heartbeat timeout occurs the hub chucks the port connection
shortly afterwards (when it gets around to it), and the application
will have to reregister, which it can do on the same port if it still
has it opened of course.

>What are the requirements for heartbeating to keep the port alive on
the
>hub?

Once 2 x h/b intervals passes it is disconnected and assumed dead by
the hub. So all an app needs to do is pump out a h/b within that
period to be safe.

HTH?

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=zJWM8Hd1FDF6K0AuFNGhY1SOjmvxbVMpzFwN2S43BlbZOA0Llx5DkNKsyW8FvXrec6me_ax2x1m-XYAadA">stuart@x...</a>