RE: Re: IMPORTANT xAP Basic Status and Control

  • Subject: RE: Re: IMPORTANT xAP Basic Status and Control
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:49:00 +0000

Hello Ian,

Long time no hear.. welcome back...

Yes - I think you have it about sussed there - everything you say is
correct.
The only issue is whether the two status messages could be combined
into one by incorporating the basic status body with your own in a multi
body transmission - essentially meaning one message with both bodies. I
think you dislike multiple bodies though if I remember correctly. Overall
though I don't see this as particularly advantageous although there may be
code space implications for or against this. It is probably of particular
magnitude only when a complete status response for all I/O is sent. In that
case trying to combine two may lead to packet overflow.
Maybe I am just saying that the body part must be included in all
status messages (and not really defining a schema as such).
How I sort of see it is that this is basic functionality that
enables everything to work together seamlessly and then you layer fancier
schemas on top of that to enhance the feature set of your product. My C-Bus
units for example will typically be controlled by 'name' rather than the ID
number but this allows for that to work as well.

You can make your own choice on the old chestnut of whether

{
device=TableLamp
state=ON
}