Re: IMPORTANT xAP Basic Status and Control

  • Subject: Re: IMPORTANT xAP Basic Status and Control
  • From: Ian Bird
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:29:00 +0000

Hi Kevin

This is something we touched on a while back but how do you see the
basic schema in relation to other supported schemas for a product. I
am thinking primarily of status more than anything at the moment.
Will a product have to send both a basic status message and a more
comprehensive one in response to stimuli i.e. something changes or a
request. What order will these have to go out in? I do kinda assume
though that two messages will be sent, one with the basic schema and
one with the proprietary schema.

For example my I/O board has a detailed status schema for both the
outputs and the inputs (yep, 2 schema or is that schemi?). So, if a
timer expires on one of the outputs I would need to send two status
messages, one giving the basic 'output x = off' or whatever is the
correct format. The second would be my output schema which would say
something similar in a different format possibly with some other
information (no examples off hand).

I think things are simpler in the case of a status request as it will
either be a basic request which would get a basic reply or a
proprietary one which would get the detailed reply. Neither would
trigger both replies.

Finally for the time being, if the basic schema say turns on an
output I assume I will send a status message by way of a reply
saying 'output x = on'. I would then also send another status message
saying 'output x = on <LF> timer=00:00:00' which is the more detailed
version and needed for a dedicated plug-in or controller.

Is this how you see it all integrating?

Sorry if this is a little disjointed but it has been a while since I
have been able to spend any time on my projects.

Thanks

Ian