Re: Questions...

  • Subject: Re: Questions...
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:47:00 +0000

On Wed, 28 May 2003 19:55:02 -0000, "JamesTraynor" <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=XQPbKTmgAkPYXqctjWoZUqnYGXgmNB5g7NxJ_rDCB6R4AkWQ2EV1GMW0gIF7jdjxIE2lxLM">James@m...</a>>
wrote:

>Things like the display message exist but seem to be very specific
>like Stuart's slimp3 connector but should we be looking for a standard
>like:
>class=display.message
>messgae
>{
>message=Server has blown up
>Priority=high
>}
>Very simple very protable and realistically all the functions you
>need. Add a target if needed, add more options if needed but assume
>they might get ignored.

That sounds very useful to me! At the moment some of my apps are
generating both TiVo and SliMP3 OSD messages. A generic display
message would be a useful 'base class' for those.

They can add secondary lines (in the case of SliMP3) or coordinates
(for TiVo) to the base message.

I suppose a similar effect is achieved through further message blocks,
but that's a bit vague and ambiguous.

>It seems we are ending up with many very well thought out but very
>specific schemas, would now be a good time get some of these basics
>set out...
>or am talking rubish?

No! I think we're all beginning to think much the same (witness
Kevin's recent post on the Level idea) now that we have some real live
xAP experience. I certainly tried to make the xAP-Audio stuff
reasonably generic, adding SliMP3 specific stuff later, but so far
I've only trialed it out on a SliMP3.

More thoughts later. I just got myself ADSL enabled today, my office
is an absolute *tip* (I had to dismantle a number of things) and I'm
rebuilding/reinstalling my Server post ADSL activation - I hadn't
realised how much effort is involved in moving ISPs. But I am looking
forward to trying some of your xAPplications, James!

Stuart
--
Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=41jiwLAVyI0VwSQEZkjOzJoRb7Je4sLFd4wWRG441d4AQ8O0koCPRHmLCr2_7oCD3xZPbCUZKGqB4EEzowAt">stuart@x...</a>