RE: xAP switch

  • Subject: RE: xAP switch
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:06:00 +0000

Steve,

The C-Bus protocol is very interesting as it operates in a very
compatible fashion to xAP. There is no central controller on a C-Bus
network
meaning that you can add and remove devices and all the remaining devices
continue to interact and operate flawlessly. Essentially they are broadcast
type commands and the listeners respond. However on top of that there are a
number of enhancements to ensure that no messages are missed and that the
state of the network is always maintained across the devices. There is even
a facility to ensure that the level state information can be applied
instantly and predictably to all devices over a whole network.
So to answer your question everything in C-Bus is sort of linked
through things called group addresses. You set up a switch action to set a
group to a certain level (over a certain time) and you link your output
devices to the same group. So a switch can set group 33 say to level 60%
and
all the lights that are linked to that group will move to that level. A
lamp
can be in several groups in which case you set up arbitration rules - eg
the
highest or lowest level of any group it is a member of.
My xAP - C-Bus gateway will send a xAP message essentially when any
group changes level - so any switch action can be identified. Or you can
set
any group to any level (over any time).
Your black box could therefore apply source filters against my C-Bus
addresses to toggle an output on your box ON/OFF - indeed and a unique
advantage of xAP - my messages contain a UID that varies on each group so
that you only have to match 4 bytes for each source you want to recognise -
this makes the software implementation / memory requirements so much
easier.
For inputs on your box (switches) you could just target one of the C-Bus
group addresses or anything - indeed that is why Ian's relay/input board
actually becomes such a nice device in conjunction with C-Bus.

Kevin

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=YEj98t9rvHzARwJ10_bCLmJex7J8q2w3K5FtT6crs4R8T4wcmgaQnnJ60t-eYInCxKdvw7tY9usWtfKPzoBikg7WDw">steve.cooper@u...</a>