Re: xAP switch

  • Subject: Re: xAP switch
  • From: Patrick Lidstone
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:43:00 +0000

> On the xAP front what I'm thinking of is a black xAP box that has a
series
> of connectors on one side and a serial or ethernet output on the
other.
> You program the box with the response for each switch (probably via
the PC)
> then just plug it into the network and wire up the switches. Then
each
> switch sends out a targeted message perhaps switch one to power up
the Rio,
> switch two sends out a message to switch on the light etc.

Nice.
But I'd have the message that is sent when the switch is operated
configured using a xAP message. This would allow the switch to change
context dynamically. I realise this could get a bit wacky, but it
could also allow for e.g. two or three switches to select an audio
source, and then for the remaining switches to be setup in "real
time" to then control that source, without the need for any
significant on board intelligence.

The switch business also reminds me of the need we have for events. I
define "Events" as a kind of group addressing. E.g. several
devices
may be able to provide an occupancy detection event in the same room,
and several devices may want to respond to that - they can all
send/receive "Lounge occupancy" as an abstract event whenever
they
want without the need to explicitly configure those devices to
interact on a source/target basis.

Switches might benefit from using events because the action that they
trigger may be shared by either a number of switches (multi-way
switching scenario, or say a universal audio "mute" switch in
each
room), but have the same control functionality replicated on web
pages/ via infrared etc.

Patrick