xAP Floorplan

I've started to use some of the HomeEasy stuff in my HA setup, using
Mal's
excellent xPL->RFXCom gateway.

>From within Floorplan I can happily generate xPL messages from various
scripts to turn sockets, lights, etc on and off in response to events.

Since most of the HomeEasy stuff is only one-way (i.e. you can send it
commands but can't query it's current status), how can I best represent an
item like a light fitting on a Floorplan map?  So that when I send it a
command e.g. "on" the light fitting on the map comes on and if I
click on
the light fitting on the map it will toggle on / off?

I thought about creating a raw "dummy" xAP device, which I can
then drop on
a map, then in my scripts that send the raw xPL messages I can also send a
raw xAP message that updates the pseudo xAP device?

Would that be the best way, or is there something else I can do?

Cheers,

Martyn