Re: xAP Newbie

Hi,

This should be nice and simple, not entirely point and click but
pretty close.  Step one is to get the xAP plugin installed into the
slimserver, details here:
http://www.edjo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/edward/xAP/Slim/slim_main.htm
Next step is all in xAP Blue as blue not only does the bluetooth stuff
but it also has a simple event system.  This will allow you to
generate a message when a certain mobile turns up, which in this case
will be a display message. You can always use a bigger app to do this
such as Floorplan,HomeSeer,Misterhouse etc. but in this case might as
well stick with Blue.  When Blue is running, find the number of the
mobile in question. Open the Events/Found folder and open the text
file with the same number

Add this to it at the bottom.
<start>
Type=message.display
Target=>
L1=Paul's Back
L2=Put the kettle on
Duration=20
<end>

No need to restart Blue, and now when you mobile is seen a
displaymessage is sent by blue. That message will appear on the
Slimp3/squeezebox.  If you also loaded the Intranet Launcher, mi4.biz,
you would also get a popup on screen too. It appears everywhere as teh
Target is set to > , which means all, but you could set it to a
specific device only if you wanted to limit where the message is
displayed.
While all this is going on Blue will also be sending messages using a
standard xAP schema called BSC which lots of apps use as a basic way
of talking and any other app you may have loaded which supports BSC
will also see the event.

Oh, to make life easier you should install a xAP hub on every PC
running xAP software.
http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php?title=Hubs
. Hubs alow messages
to be shared within a single PC, once the hub are installed you can
just forget about them as they just run in the background. You only
need a hub when running more than one piece of software but hopefully
you soon will be and you might as well start off installing them

HTH

James

--- In xap_automation@xxxxxxx, "Paul Bendall" <paul@...>