Re: xfx Service Apps Config

  • Subject: Re: xfx Service Apps Config
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:20:00 +0000

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:40:06 +0000, James Traynor <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=w2C-Q2_40vm5HHls1KV6_dCE8B81vEl4_I-KzlbEN6VZ67j62oavBhZkTCS72LBkGMw_AxU">james@m...</a>>
wrote:

>What I was wondering was whether a simple xFx app could be created that
>would search out any xFx app that has been installed and provide a
>central configuration screen, whether the apps are console,service or
>gui. I am guessing that all the elements are already there, the gui,
>the file parser etc they just t need a bit of re-jigging :-) As the app
>would just work by finding config files it could in theory work over
the
>network, which would be very useful.

To be honest I think I'd probably be better off implementing the full
configuration system than any custom mechanism just for xAPFramework
applications?

What you will find in future as I update things is that the
configuration file is stored separately from the application now. So
when you uninstall the app/service, perhaps to upgrade it, the
configuration file remains. This makes it very easy to update and
retain existing configuration. I use this to nice effect when testing
the SlimServer Connector service for instance.

I'll gradually bring all the apps up to similar levels as I update
them. You can even use the GUI version to generate the configuration
file and just copy the file around.

Full configuration will come in time.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=8xmDzVPl0A3zuOh68N_9zUzNVQbSUivHehPXd7agoKPuTMSnJIewO6DcatYOn4QrBXvJC7r5W9ltbltx83mxMjJH">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net