xfx Service Apps Config

  • Subject: xfx Service Apps Config
  • From: James Traynor
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:40:00 +0000

After my server melted this morning, I have since rebuilt it and start
re-installing all my xAPs. I have used the service version of all the
xFx apps with each running as a separate service. This give the
advantage of remote control through any MS management tool. What struck
me doing it this was was the issue of configuration. In some the gui xFx
apps there are nice config screens already but for console and service
there is only text file editing.
What I was wondering was whether a simple xFx app could be created that
would search out any xFx app that has been installed and provide a
central configuration screen, whether the apps are console,service or
gui. I am guessing that all the elements are already there, the gui,
the file parser etc they just t need a bit of re-jigging :-) As the app
would just work by finding config files it could in theory work over the
network, which would be very useful. This would lead to one question,
other than availability, do xFx apps have any way of being told to
reload settings without re-starting?

James