RE: Multiple streamers

  • Subject: RE: Multiple streamers
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:03:05 +0100

HI David ...welcome...

Real soon now - promise !

> I have two exstreamers that work with slimserver. I have set up the
> slimp3 connector, the GUI hub, xAPDesktop and xAPTV.
> Everything seems to work but I am having trouble
> controlling and monitoring two players.

That looks a great start

> When I first set it up I used the all symbol when
> configuring xAPDesktop, however, this meant that both
> players were controlled at the same time - but it did work
> apart from some confusion on now playing!

Yes each one would update the now playing as a track started

I then tried to
> set up each player individually. Unfortunately, I only
> seem to be able to control 1 player. I am also unable to
> get any playing information to be displayed in xAPDesktop.
> If I create 2 displays they both seem to control the same
> player (even though I specified different players when I
> configured them).

Did you name the players individually in SlimServer ? - I am not sure if
you
can do this actually - I have never tried the ExStreamer on SlimServer -
but
in the server if each device appears as an 'IP' you can rename it say
ExstreamerOne and ExstreamerTwo (no spaces) and then stop and restart the
xAP Slim connector. This last bit shouldn't be necessary but it certainly
speeds things up. Now if you set up your filters and targets you can
differentiate each one....

> Of course, I may be mistaken in thinking that the
> connector is interacting directly with the slimp3 server
> for each device rather than the players -which will not
> work in my config with exstreamers.

Yes it does work this way but if the SlimServer sees two players it should
work. It will work for example I think with multiple WinAmp connections (he
said holding his breath and crossing his fingers)

If this is the case,
> then are there any options for operating with my
> configuration where all the information about tracks etc
> is only held in the slimserver?

There is an embedded xAP implementation that actually runs on the
Exstreamer
itself - written by Edward - I will leave that to him...

> Some extra info
>
> I am using the Slimp3 Remote Display and Controller for
> each display

Just elaborate a bit here - which remote display do you mean ?

> I originally had player names with spaces but I have removed them.

Ahh yes - ignore my waffle above

> When I changed the first display to be the second player
> the change did not seem to take place ie the same player
> was being commanded. I did try restarting everything.

You would need to edit the events on each of the buttons individually -
each
one of them needs a target address in them . Right click on the desktop
icon
in the system tray and select events - here you will need to create a set
of
events for one player and a different set of events for the other player.
An
event is linked to a button. One will probably already be setup although
the
target might be wildcarded (ie addressing all) rather than just one player.

> I can see messages relating to the first player in the
> hub, including all the information necessary for now
> playing, eg album, artist, track etc
>
> The player names are OfficeExstreamer and DrawingRmExstreamer

Good

> xAPDesktop does seem to be sending out a message to
> control each player, however, the connector only appears
> to producing messages for the one player, eg
>
> xAPDesktop sends "Next" to
> kcssoft.slimp3.testserver:drawingrmexstreamer
>
> The next "Next" command from the connector is shown as
> originating from kcssoft.slimp3.testserver:OfficeExstreamer
> (It is this last item that indicates to me that I may have
> misinterpreted how the connector operates)

That's simply because the events are set up wrong, both targeting the same
player

> Thanks for your help
> BR
> David

K - if that doesn't make sense then give us a shout - I have several
SliMP3's displaying & controlled independantly via Desktop and I feel
the
same will work with the Exstreamers as lng as they are nameable devices in
the SlimServer which from what you say they appear to be !